Re: [PCWorks] Dreaded Blue Screen on Shut Down

  • From: LarryB <larryb227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 05:12:20 -0500

Everything indicated using the Debug program resulted in a reinstal of
Windows XP. So we changed the HD from 30g to 80g, increased Ram to 1g
and reinstalled. During the process SP2 wouldn't take and kept aborting.
That's when I gave it to Wil the guy that knows far more than I. He said
the problem keeps coming back but only on shutdown. When you start it up
you can do all that you would expect.
Sorry about the footers.

LarryB
K & L Electronics
South Carolina

Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin-OrpheusComputing. com &
ComputersCustomBuilt. com wrote:

You never were able to find out anything from that Debug program? Some
time back when I was having BSOD's before the mobo went bad, the Debug
program actually told me what was causing it, and it was a .sys file in
Kaspersky. They've since fixed that in a new version.

It's best just to reformat when it starts costing you money. It's faster
in the long run, and certainly cheaper.

(The footers Larry). ;-)

-Clint

----- Original Message ----- From: "LarryB"

Well, I met my match for sure. I was unable to fix this problem so I
took it to someone that is professionally in the business. (by the way
our last communique, he has less hair.)I'll let you know when it is
fixed if ever. I have checked many resources to no avail. Most say good
luck finding the cause.

LarryB
K & L Electronics
South Carolina

Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin-OrpheusComputing. com &
ComputersCustomBuilt. com wrote:

Many people do, (I always do), and there's no easy solution to it. It
can be software, or it can be hardware causing it. The only thing I can
suggest is to install that Debugger from M$ and see what it says.

Go to the area like you're going to the Device Manager, but instead
click the "Advanced" tab, then under "Startup and Recovery" click
"Advanced Settings". Then under "System Failure" check the first box,
then in the drop-down I'd suggest trying the Kernel dump first. If that
takes too long or locks up the PC, then select the "Small memory dump".
This will write the info into a file in that Minidump folder, hopefully.

Then you can open that Debugger and load the .dmp file and see if it
will tell you anything. Usually you can just drag the dmp file to the
program after you open it.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

The dmp files are not always created on BSOD's while starting or
shutting down, so it may or may not create one.

In my case, I'm pretty sure my BSOD's are caused by a bad motherboard.
-Clint

----- First Original Message ----- From: "LarryB"

I get the blue screen on shut down with the following info.

IRQL_not_less_or_equal.
0x0000000A
(0x000000B0,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x804EA44F)

I have visited M$ and didn't learn much that was useful to me. I have
installed a Kodak printer but removing it does not solve the problem. It
is a all in one type printer.

This is my home computer using XP Home and it is a Dell laptop. When
this happens I have to hit the power button and hold it to turn it off.
I can then turn it back on with no problem and nothing seems to be wrong
otherwise. I have checked for malware with spybot, AVG, and Spysweeper.
Nothing unusual.

M$ says it could be a driver! Good how do you find the one that is the
culprit?