-=PCTechTalk=- Re: registry cleaner

  • From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 16:36:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi ML,

If you believe the Gurus, yes you do need a program to
occasionally clean up the registry and to compact the
registry hives.  Having said that, I know many users
who have been stung by letting "registry cleaners"
loose on their systems, and who swear that they will
never use them again!

I personally believe that registry cleaners are useful
to help keep a system running at peak performance, but
that's only my opinion.

I use REGISTRY MECHANIC (version 5.2.0.310 retail)
which has NEVER trashed my system.  In fact it is a
little conservative in my opinion, and will not remove
any key etc that has an inkling of validity.

It also creates a system restore point before taking
any action (if you have set it to do that).

I also occasionally use REGISTRY FIRST AID (version
4.1.0 retail) which is much more aggressive, but so
far it has not done any perceibable damage to my
registry.

I am using Windows XP PRO SP2 fully patched.

Perhaps some members might like to chip in and tell
you their experiences with registry cleaners.

Cheers,

John Lehn (Sydney Australia)