-=PCTechTalk=- Re: cleanup

  • From: ~OoO~ <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:45:40 -0500

Duplicate File Finder
http://tinyurl.com/7xv76

I've used this for a good 2 years. You're basically gonna give it a main
directory to search and it'll seek out the dups. If you look in that screen
shot on that link above, you'll quickly see how it visually groups all the
dups together. For example, in the screen shot shown, the first set of dupes
has 5 files that are duplicates. Out of those 5, you highlight whatever you
want to delete (the standard CTRL-click to highlight more than one, or click
the first and SHIFT-click the second to highlight everything in the
between). Then you hit the delete button and WHAM. Take note, though, that
this is not checking the file name at all. The file name can be the same or
different. It doesn't care. Its doing a CRC & checksum comparison. In other
words, its checking the contents. Besides the name, if the files are
identical, it'll be marked here.

Regarding what Beverly said about deleting the wrong thing and then having a
"huh?" look to your face... :o)  .... you just need to be careful. You have
to know what kind of dupes you're looking to delete. For example, you might
search a folder with all images. You know that they're images, and you're
specifically looking for dupe images. Everything is fine there. But, if you
have it arbitrarily look for dupe files all over your system for no reason
other than reclaiming disk space, well you better have a slighter better
knowledge of what everything is. ESPECIALLY since your operating system
along sports a hefty number of dupe files in various directories.

So, again... you sort of have to have a goal in mind... other than just
reclaiming space.

---Troth