-=PCTechTalk=- Re: backing up

  • From: "Robert Andrew Dulaney Jr." <rdulaneyjr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:38:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Joyce - lets see if I can answer your questions to your satisfaction, if
you need more info please holler.

1.) The amount of CD's it would take to back your system up depends on how much
stuff you have to back up.  This was probably already obvious to you and I am
sorry I do not have a better answer.

2.) CD-R or CD-RW that is a matter of choice and your finance abilities.  With
CD-RW you could erase and rewrite on the same disk saving you from having
several back-ups around.  I would suggest a DVD-RW or tape back-up if you can
afford it.  In any case I use rewritable media but have keep the last three -
in other words I re write over the oldest of the last three back-ups so in the
end I have the last three back-ups - hope I am making sense here.

You can put over 4.5 gigs of data on a DVD vice the 700 Mg on a conventional CD
- and tapes you can buy in different sizes - obviously for these you need to
install the hardware too.

3.) there are several ways to tell if your DVD is capable of burning - I
suggest you go to www.pcpitstop.com and do a complete test of your PC this will
tell you a lot about your system besides testing it.  After running the full
test you can go to your DVD on the report and it will tell you.

BTW they make DVD-RW?s also

I hope this helps you even if in a small way

Robert Dulaney Jr.

Des Moines, WA

Joyce <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a couple of questions concerning the backup function found in Start,
All Programs, Accessories,System Tools. I am running Windows XP Pro.
Following a discussion on the CleanUp Forum (which, by the way has gotten
pretty ugly and wayyyy off topic) I tried the backup tool. I soon found
that I needed much more than a floppy! Filled one up fast and my computer
said it had about 5 hours to go. I canceled pending a search for more
information. So here I am seeking advise. How many CD's would it take to
do a basic back-up? Would CD-RW be the better choice rather than a CD-R?
After doing the original backup would I be able to update it weekly (Or
whatever) buy putting in the last CD (given there is space left) and running
the backup utility again. I do have a DVD player. How do I determine if it
is capable of use for backing up? I have only played DVD's with it. And if
I can back-up to a DVD, is that a better choice. How much do DVD disks cost
on an average?
Actually I am not at all sure I need to do this as I use my compute for
e-mail and for fun. I save all my pictures to CD-R's and I have saved
address books & favorites to floppies.
I do have a tutorial in hard copy that G-Man did years ago so maybe I need
to take a look at it. At the time he did that tutorial I only had a floppy
drive but now I am better equipped.
Anyway I would appreciate any advise from those of you who have used the
back-up function in XP.
Joyce

Don't assist the spammers!
Please delete my name and e-dress before forwarding this e-mail to anyone.
Thank you I appreciate your compliance

http://mail.yahoo.com