-=PCTechTalk=- backing up

  • From: "Joyce" <jmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pctechtalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:06:30 -0500

I have a couple of questions concerning the backup function found in Start,
All Programs, Accessories,System Tools.  I am running Windows XP Pro.
Following a discussion on the CleanUp Forum (which, by the way has gotten
pretty ugly and wayyyy off topic) I tried the backup tool.  I soon found
that I needed much more than a floppy!  Filled one up fast and my computer
said it had about 5 hours to go.  I canceled pending a search for more
information.  So here I am seeking advise.  How many CD's would it take to
do a basic back-up?  Would CD-RW be the better choice rather than a CD-R?
After doing the original backup would I be able to update it weekly (Or
whatever) buy putting in the last CD (given there is space left) and running
the backup utility again. I do have a DVD player.  How do I determine if it
is capable of use for backing up?  I have only played DVD's with it.  And if
I can back-up to a DVD, is that a better choice.  How much do DVD disks cost
on an average?
Actually I am not at all sure I need to do this as I use my compute for
e-mail and for fun.  I save all my pictures to CD-R's and I have saved
address books & favorites to floppies.
I do have a tutorial in hard copy that G-Man did years ago so maybe I need
to take a look at it.  At the time he did that tutorial I only had a floppy
drive but now I am better equipped.
Anyway I would appreciate any advise from those of you who have used the
back-up function in XP.
Joyce