-=PCTechTalk=- Re: WinMX update

  • From: "Eric Skeen" <northcom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 20:36:50 +0200

True, MNL, what I omitted to state that probably 98% of my MP3 files are
owned by me either on vinyl (collection of about 1400 LPs) or on CD
(collection of close to 700 originals). Most of the songs I have on my
computer are ripped by myself, although if I do find a cleaner version of
one of my vinyl recordings as a download, then I most certainly do keep it.
I am in the process of ripping, cleaning & burning my vinyl collection to
CD.

Vinyl recordings originally manufactured in South Africa vary from good
quality to really crappy quality, as a result of the crappy vinyl they
started using. We have oil refineries that extract petrol (gas) from coal,
and they used the chemicals extracted during the refining process as a base
from which the vinyl recordings were made. With the advent of FM radio in
the early 60s, this quality at last improved, until the excellent quality
of the last vinyl recordings in the mid 80s when Compact Disks became the
norm. But the period from mid 50s to early 60's produced some very poor
quality vinyl pressings with excessive surface noise that I simply cannot
remove successfully. I paid for the original recordings, and I expect the
quality to be as state of the art as possible, given the period in time.
Therefore, let the record industry cry, or at least refund me my
hard-earned money.

I plead guilty to the remaining 2% of recordings that I have as mp3 files.
They are simply not available in record shops (oops, I mean CD suppliers)
anymore, or I would indeed buy them. Music is my life!

That Guy In Africa...
http://homepages.gds.co.za/northcom/
(This page has been hi-jacked, where are the Internet Cops now?)
ICQ#  39461303
~ Greetings from Sunny South Africa ~