-=PCTechTalk=- Re: System Restore

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 13:35:33 -0800

I want to make sure I am clear about Sys Restore Vs Go Back.  System Restore
is great if you know you just have a system problem.

I have used this on two occasions.  Both happened after I had installed a
program that gave me fits and could not totally be uninstalled.  (I think
they were both freebies that someone shared with me and swore by..and I
swore at!)  In those instances, I used System Restore to go back to before I
installed the programs to get rid of them. I then ran Norton Systemworks,
Utilities, Find & Fix problems, to be sure there were not errors showing in
the registry.  This worked perfectly.  I did have any reason to use Go Back.

Now, I have had another problem, and I did use Go Back.  Somehow... some
magic genie came along and swiped some files.... folders... and I could not
find them....  So, I used Go Back..and searched the files..and found them
and restore them!

I have also reverted my entire drive..and then went back and gotten some
files that I did not want reverted.. This is a powerful program.  I will NOT
own a computer without it.  I have had it since I had Win 98 years ago..I
just upgrade.....

The Go Back that comes with Systemworks, I believe, will only revert the
entire drive.
The Go Back you buy has the option to revert only one physical drive..or
just find a file or files to revert .......

You can purchase Go Back from Norton.

It was made by Roxio.  They sold it to Norton/Symantec.

go to www.Symantec.com and click on Products and services.

Under PRODUCT TYPE

Click on the link for Home and Home Office

Scroll down to the next to the last product.  Norton GoBack4.0 and then
select info.

I could not get past this page.... I guess they do not want me to buy it..ha
ha!  http://www.symantec.com/goback/

The purchased version... as opposed to the version in Systemworks... has
more features.  I am not sure the one included in SystemWorks will let you
retrieve a single file as opposed to setting back the entire system.

I should note here the one thing I do not like about Go Back... that will
probably NOT matter to anyone else...ha ha!

The limitation of how much it can hold, to be able to restore..is 4 GB per
physical Drive.  Since I have large hard drives... 250 GB... that means not
all of my info would be reset.  But.... That has NOT been a problem for me.
Typically if I need something retrieved it is within the last day or so...
and I can get it.
things they want to keep.  I have used the DataKeeper program that comes
free with Partition Magic..or at least did when it was still being made/sold
by Power Quest (before being purchased by Norton/Symantec)  I have also used
Power Quest's Drive Image.  I have found that easier to use than Norton
Ghost..but..that could have just been my ignorance at the time...

I hope this info helps and does NOT confuse you ....
Rose
Las Vegas
From: "Glo" <redowl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>