-=PCTechTalk=- Re: System Restore

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:06:20 -0800

Hi Sandi,
the reason to make your own backup is, You may have made some changes or
downloaded some files in the course of your day.

Then with the computer on all day you decide to download a new program.

I will use Opera as a example.
I create a new set point before downloading it.
I noticed while I was installing it it was installing to the wrong
directory.
I canceled then restored my regesty to a point prior to the instalation.

If I were to use the default restore point it would be from 7AM when I had
turned on the computer.
I would loose all of todays emails, and documents I had not saved to
removable storge, or a different drive.

I hope this helps to explain it.

On 30/01/2003 at 3:13 PM SandiBeach wrote:

Mike, help me to understand this please.  I copied all your instructions to
hard copy to put in my file of tutorials but I need some clarification. (By
the way, you do an excellent job of explaining so that any of us can do
this)
In your first paragraph you tell how to back up the registry.  Then down
below it is stated that Windows makes and stores a backup of the registry
when you start your computer each time.  So why do we need to do the
MSCONFIG backup?
Sandi