-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Start up question

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 20:58:12 -0400

Hi Cristy,
    Although there's no problem with using it to shut down Startup programs
if you're careful, MS included the MSConfig utility specifically for
troubleshooting purposes.  As a result, it does not have all of the controls
that are present within the Services area.  It can turn them on and off for
testing purposes, but it's prone to causing issues if you leave them that
way across a reboot.  Using the actual Services location also gives you a
lot more control over how the individual service's run options are treated.
For instance, you might want to set a service so that it's off by default,
but still available if it's needed by another process you might cause to run
at any time.  You can set the service to "Manual" in its start control,
which will leave it in an off state until it's specifically called for by
something else.  Then, if you reboot the system, the service will again be
turned off until it's needed again.  There is no way to control them like
this from within MSConfig.

Peace,
Gman