-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Start up question

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 21:37:12 -0400

Hi Patti,
    The Services area shows many of the 'processes' that Windows uses in the
background.  Many of them depend on others in the same list so no one should
ever go in there just to experiment.  The BlackViper link I sent in earlier
explains each and every service in depth and also discusses which ones can
be safely modified for different reasons.  MS turns a lot of unnecessary
ones on by default because they may be needed by some users.  Of course, the
more stuff you have running in the background, the more system resources are
being used at any given time.  This can slow things down considerably, so
it's often beneficial to turn off some of the ones you'll never need.

Peace,
Gman