-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Start up question

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 18:25:35 -0400

Hi Steve,
    BlackViper is the man to go to whenever you question anything related to
Services running.  He has listings for the Services for all MS NT-based
operating system versions.  Here's a direct link to the one for Vista.  I
completely agree with his advice to NEVER use MSCONFIG to enable or disable
a service.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

    As for figuring out what apps & processes start up with your system (and
what you can/should uncheck in MSCONFIG), there are so many that a
comprehensive listing does not and will not ever exist.  However, here is a
link that should go a long way towards helping you in making those
decisions.  Anything that you're still not sure about can be searched online
to figure out what put it there, what it does and whether it can be safely
turned off.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

Peace,
Gman