-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Partition Drive

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 15:02:44 -0400

See below, my friend.

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php

From: "dsw32952" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:05 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Partition Drive

>I mentioned TweakUI since I will be dual booting with XP instead of
> Win7.  But, editing the registry does not scare me like it used to.  (It
> probably should, but it doesn't)  A third party has released TweakVI for
> Vista and has a free version available.  I may go look for that again.

I'm aware of the third party TweakUI for Vista, but I have zero experience
with it.  I'm not aware as to whether it has any functions for changing the
default locations for system folders like Documents or Program Files.  I
also considered that TweakUI 2.10 (the last MS release) doesn't cover all of
the locations I'm inclined to relocate, so a trip into the registry is
already necessary to complete all of the reloctions I have in mind.

Also, editing the registry shouldn't scare anyone.  It's the effects of
editing the wrong thing or making an error that could be detrimental to the
system, but if you spend the time learning the numerous easy ways to recover
from a botched registry editing session, all fear should disappear.  I'm not
saying that your repect for the delicate nature of the registry should
disappear, however.    lol

> Will the difference between using two physical drives (my installation)
> and two logical drives on the same physical drive make a siginifcant
> difference?  I know performance wise the two physical drives will be
> better.

Performance-wise, more than one physical drive CAN be better, but it all
depends on how you divide things up between them.  For example, moving your
swapfile / pagefile to a second physical drive can significantly speed up
performance if your system uses the drive cache often.  It won't work as
well if there are other things on that second physical drive that are
accessed at the same time, however.  However, moving your pagefile to a
dedicated second partition (one that only contains that file) will cut down
on the file's fragmentation effects, regardless of what physical drive it's
on.  I used to do this with my own systems back in the days of Win9x, but
I've since given it up due to there being so many variables that reduce the
actual benefits received under NT based OS's.

> A special note for everyone:  Over the last several weeks of frustration
> with this HP and Vista Premium and uninstalling this and recovering that
> I have used CCLEANER to uninstall software, cleanup the hard drive and
> fix the registry.  I have always let it do its thing with only a cursory
> review of what it found.  I have never been disappointed or harmed by
> its work.  I trust it.  I probably shouldn't, but I do.  I've even quit
> making a backup of the problems before it fixes them in most (not all)
> cases.
>
> Don

in the Subject.