-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Partition Drive

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 15:13:13 -0400

Thinking is half the battle and I highly encourage you to do as much of it
as possible.       lol

If you go through with moving your Docs and Program Files folders to another
partition (you can probably share a single Docs folder, but will need two
separate Program Files folders), you should be fine.  Each OS will have its
own boot drive (C: for Vista & D: for Win7) while the remaining space will
be used for storing everything else.  The OS partitions (C: & D:) will not
grow anywhere near as fast as you're used to seeing when the Program Files
folder is a part of it, since that will reside elsewhere (presumably on the
E: drive).  However, you will be restricted by the size of that E: drive on
how much you can install & save there.  Since you now have something like
77GB free, I don't see you having to worry about that for a while.

If/when you DO discover that you're running out of room on the E: drive, it
will then be time to consider adding a second drive to the system.  This
second drive can be an internal or external and will instantly give you the
breathing room you'll need.  You won't be able to just move your Program
Files folder to it, but nearly anything else you're saving should be fine.
Moving the Program Files folder would require another trip into the registry
and some additional preliminary preparations in order to be successful.  We
will cross that path when we come to it during your initial setup, so you'll
already know how to do this.       :)

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php