-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Partition Drive

  • From: "tempting2taanzaa" <tempting2taanzaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 21:47:44 -0500

Now I'm getting cold feet.  I don't want all of my hard drive occupied.
Perhaps I need a larger drive before I attempt this.  And since this is a
laptop I do not know how to install a larger hdd or even what to buy...

Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 08:52:39 -0400
From: dsw32952 <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Partition Drive

Yes.  No.  Maybe.  Recovery disks recover a drive to its original state.
That means all partitions and other OS installations are wiped out.  Since
you will be dual booting with Windows 7, this should not be a problem since
it will be the newer OS and should be installed last.

On my HP desktop with Vista Home Premium, when I try to partition the hard
drive Vista refuses to release more than about half of the drive for new
partitions.  On my 500GB drive it would let me have about 250GB to partition
however I wanted.  According to HP this is exactly what all of their
customers want.  I installed a 160GB drive and had to remove the 500GB drive
in order to recover to it.  I then reinstalled the 500GB drive.  Again, this
is the way all HP customers want their computers to work.  Once recovered to
the 160GB drive I was able to partition it to about half of the drive.

This partition limitation exists whether using the build in disk manager,
ATI Disk Director Suite or the partitioning function available during OS
installation.

Don
in the Subject.