-=PCTechTalk=- Re: LCD vs CRT Monitors

  • From: GuitarMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 14:41:52 -0400

Judith,
    Many graphics designers have made the switch over to LCDs, so I have to
assume it becomes more a matter of personal opinion/taste.  CRTs are
'warmer' looking than LCDs (similar to the way vinyl sounds 'warmer' than
compact disks) and will often 'color' the work in progress.  If you've ever
printed out a color image and found that the colors don't quite match what
you see on a CRT screen, you'll understand what I mean by that.  If your
audience is going to view your work in print on paper, an LCD may be your
best bet for accuracy.  The main thing you need to look for is the monitor's
default resolution and the spacing between pixels, especially if you often
zoom into an image to do manual touchups.

    Before taking anything I have said here as gospel, head over to some
graphics oriented forums and see what the experts there have to say about
this topic.  They are in a much better position than I to provide real world
insight.  My statements are purely theory and conjecture since I am not, in
fact, a well practiced graphics artist (at least not yet).          :O)

Peace,
GMan