-=PCTechTalk=- Re: I've lost my sound

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 17:38:04 -0400

HB,
    Sorry for the delay, but I've been away for a bit (in more ways than one
lol)

    Yes, we've been trying to isolate the problem with our questions, but
the lack of headphones is a sticking point.  If you know of anyone with a
computer, ask them to let you borrow their headphones for Mike's two tests
(use a music CD as a source).  The results will tell us volumes about where
the problem may lie.  Simply put, if you can get sound from the drive, but
not from the output in the back of the PC, the problem is inside your
computer case (a wire has come loose) or the sound driver has become
corrupted.  If you get sound from both, it lies somewhere in the speaker
setup (or the speakers themselves).  If you get it from neither source, the
optical drive may be the culprit.

    Did your system previously emit sounds for various system functions such
as emptying the Recycle Bin or shutting down the computer?  If it did (and
now it doesn't), that means this is beyond just the CD drive.

    Oh, and how do you like your new carpet?     :O)

Peace,
GMan