-=PCTechTalk=- Re: GMan - url for Firefox/IE7 add-on, please!

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:43:35 -0400

TSR stands for "Terminate & Stay Resident".  The term goes back to the days
of DOS and simply means any process that stays running in the background
once it's started.  Every icon in your Notification Area (the area near the
clock) is a TSR.

When talking about anti-malware TSRs, we're talking about real-time monitors
that constantly watch for unwanted junk like toolbar addons, changes to the
HOSTS file & registry, etc.  WinPatrol is designed as a TSR.  Spybot
includes one as a separate process you can choose to activate.  Many other
security utilities already are or include TSRs that you can use to monitor
your system.

Peace,
Gman