-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Creating a DOS Boot CD

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:46:20 -0400

Hi Dan,
    FDD stands for Floppy Disk Drive and will allow any legacy devices to
emulate a Floppy drive.  HDD (Hard Disk Drive) would be the cotrrect setting
for that particular BIOS.  My BIOS doesn't differentiate between the
different types since it auto-senses the type that's needed by any lagacy
devices connected to it.  Finally, a Legacy device is any USB device that
doesn't conform to the highest standard supported by the chipset.  In other
words, USB 1.0 & 1.1 devices connected to a USB 2.0 supporting board.

    It sounds like the board was already set for all the support it needed,
but the utility run within Hiren's Disk was still unable to take advantage
of it.  That strongly indictes that the utility itself is to blame and
perhaps a more recent version of that utility needs to be used instead, at
least when trying to Ghost a volume mounted to that specific mainboard (with
that specific BIOS running things).  Of course, one of the main
disadvantages of using disks like Hiren's for troubleshooting is that you
must keep the apps as updated as possible or else you'll run into issues
like this now and then.

Peace,
Gman