-=PCTechTalk=- Re: AVG Scans

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:05:49 -0400

I wish I were an expert on AVG.  As I indicated in a later message I
use CA Security Suite that is free from RoadRunner.

However, over 22 hours for a virus scan is a bit too long even for a
system with a lot of files on it.

I would check all of your scan settings... especially if you have
multiple drives and/or a multi-boot set up.  If you collect files of
any sort.... pictures, videos, music etc . . . you may be able to
relocate some of them to a removable media so they don't get scanned
every time.

If you have AVG configured to scan all drives including removable
drives and drives with removable media it might make AVG hiccup when
said drive or media is not present.

If you have a real time monitor running you may also be able to reduce
the number of files you scan on each scan depending on how stringent
you are on what sites you visit and what files you download.

Others here are far more knowledgeable about AVG and they may be able
to give you some more specific tips.

Don