-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Creating a DOS Boot CD

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 13:59:25 -0400

Dan,
    I have used Hiren's Boot CDs for quite some time and can attest that
they certainly can come in handy when troubleshooting/repairing a system.  I
also have an array of other bootable CDs and DVDs that I use for similar
things.  As for security concerns, I have never had any reason to even
consider the question.  All of the files I use come from my own scanned
system, so no malware will be present on the finished disk.  Also, there's
no functionality for going online or for accessing an already present
internet connection, so unauthorized access to your Hiren's session through
a net connection cannot happen either.

    The best part about making one of these is that you can add your own
troubleshooting tools, provided they can be run as portable apps (no
registry entries are needed to run) and you can figure out all of the
switches you would need to make them work the way you would want.  If you
choose to expand your creation this way, be sure to include some tools that
can access NTFS formatted volumes so that the finished disk can be used on
systems formatted that way (which happens to be most of them).

    As far as adding your own apps goes, the absolute best advice I can
provide is to get yourself a copy of Microstoft's VirtualPC 2007 and use
that as a sandbox to test your creations before committing them to a blank
disk.  You simply create a virtual system (designate a certain amount of
hard drive space and RAM to it).  When you get your Hiren's to a point where
you're ready to test it, create an ISO of the entire project and then load
it into your virtual drive.  It will boot up as though you burned it to a
disk and rebooted your main system to it.  The benefit, of course, is that
you don't waste any perfectly good optical disks on a bad Hiren's build as
it may take you several tries to get out any bugs in the programs you choose
to add.

    I can supply plenty more info on getting through these steps, but they
are best left to when you're already at that step.  Good luck and please
keep us informed of your progress.            :O)

Peace,
Gman