-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computers.

  • From: Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "David J. Weaver" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:40:24 -0700

This kind of becomes one of those "Ford or Chevy" discussions <chuckle>
I've probably bought 20 - 25 computers in the past 20 years.  I have eight in
operation right now between two homes.  All are Dell computers.  In all those
units, most have been bought as refurbished units to save money.  In all those
computers, and peripheral pieces of equipment like monitors, I have had three
problems.  One was a DOA monitor that was replaced in three days.  One was a HD
failure within about three months of use.  One was self-induced <G>  I have
also
rebuilt or upgraded equipment, or swapped equipment from one computer to
another
with great success.

In addition to the above, I've also bought a few non-Dell computers.   Two were
HPs -- I'll never buy another HP!   Two were custom built.  I did this to get
computers with the very latest and best configurations....both were no better,
faster, nor more reliable than my Dell computers.

Support from Dell is marginal.............but my opinion is that ALL major
suppliers have marginal support.  I buy all XPS computers now....originally
because buying XPS computers meant USA based support.  That's not true any
more,
now I think all support comes from India.  My last support call (to India
support) was very successful and the guy fixed my problem quickly and easily,
and fixed fixed the problem with the Dell Browser - I couldn't get rid of it!

Next year I'll probably replace one of two computers....my main computer here
in
AZ and the one in OH are both four or five year old XPS systems.  They both run
fine, but I like to have the latest technology and also it will be a cheaper
way
to get Windows Vista <chuckle>

I mean no disrespect to the builders of custom computers...........I think it's
one of those things that each individual must figure out.........and get what
pleases them.

   Regards from

 Bob -- the "Keyboard Cowboy",
           ,,,,,,,,
          Ô¿Ô¬
    Cincinnati, Ohio
 Scottsdale, Arizona
 Sunday  11/12/2006  10:27:17 AM

 Time and money spent in helping men do more for themselves is far better than
mere giving.

 -- Henry Ford (1863-1947) American Industrialist