-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Computers.

  • From: ~OoO~ <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lionel <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 23:31:28 -0500

Oh yea... you're asking for trouble on this question... hehe...
As you already know, you might get some conflicting responses on this. You have
the Dell lovers and the Dell haters, the "I'm all Compaq" crew, and the
"ANTI-Compaq" crew, etc, etc...

My background, before I tell you MY opinion, is working on computers. While I
have a steady full time job, my SECOND job, and what I consider my true
business, is I build and service computers, as well as all-things-related to
computers and technology. With that said...

I like Dell. I've never had a true problem with Dell. Like most of these
package-builder retailers, though, you tend to many times not get the full OS
disk. Instead, they give you a restore disk that restores the system back to
the way it was when you purchased your system. I think last I checked, they may
have been giving the option of getting a full OS CD for an additional $10
maybe??? Don't quote me on that, though.

Also, Dell tends to not use proprietary parts and equipment. So, depending on
which system you get, you may not be able to just swap out the power supply.
Yes, you might, but not guaranteed. Not to mention, they accent their presence
in everything. Their printers, while truly Lexmark printers, are marked as Dell
and tweaked so you can only use their inks. That's just an example.

And, if you plan on overclocking, you can probably forget about doing that with
a Dell system, as those options necessary for OC'ing are outright disabled in
the BIOS.

With that said, Dell I think has decent systems, for very good and comparable
prices.

Now... Compaq... I personally do not like them. I'm not saying they're bad, and
I am not saying not to purchase one. I am just saying that I myself have had
bad experiences with their system. But, like Dell, Compaq propriatizes some of
their hardware as well... though, I think less then Dell. Comparing the two,
I've had better customer support experience with Dell. And, usually, if I need
to contact support for a customer, its usually a serious problem. I tend to get
the same help as you see in some of these comic internet skits... tech guy says
"Are you sure its plugged in?" and I say, "Are you freakin' serious with that
question???"... hehe. Well, you get the point. Not to discredit the tech
support staff... their jobs are hard, sometimes frustrationg for them, and many
of them do try their hardest. And, yes, you do have some very knowledgeable
guys on the tech staff, though unfortunately its getting harder and harder to
reach one.

Anyways...

Good decent normal system, in my opinion, is Dell. If you want a higher-grade
gaming system, I would highly recommend IBuyPower.com, of which I have
recommended many customers to, and they have come away quite happy. IBuyPower
systems are VERY configurable, and you actually get to pick out the case and
motherboard as well. So, give them a try if you want a gaming system. Tech
support on IBuyPower? I've never personally had to deal with them, though
customers that HAVE dealt with them said they had good support.

Hope this helps.

Let me know what you end up with.

= SirTroth
= ICQ: 1717439