-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Burning question--Lil

  • From: "Sammi" <sammi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 17:24:47 -0600

Hey Gman,

I understand what you mean with this information. And it is good advice, I
think as soon as I am sure my newly burned disks are working correctly, I do
as you suggest with those older ones that are still good and copy them anew.

BTW, that CD had a label on it from when I was entranced with what the
program could do. I never did it again, thankfully. I think that printed
adhesive label might be part of the problem, like you said. I could see
little flaws in the material of the burning side of the CD, too. I have
always used Sharpies, but now I see from you guys that is bad, too. I'll
have to get some of the CD/DVD safe pens.

Here is what I did last night with the one that said it was zero bytes: I
fired up my old W98 and put in the disk that was in question. I could hardly
believe my eyes!! It showed up on that machine. So I thought I would copy
the CD contents to a newly created shared folder on the old machine. But,
the CD drive was only able to copy about half of them.

Hmm. Then I used some mild handsoap and cleaned and dried the CD. Rebooted
the XP machine, put in the CD and holy cow...there were the files. But it
couldn't access all of the files, I kept getting a error that it couldn't
read from the source. And one about a redundancy check problem. Between the
two computers, I just kept trying and trying until I was finally able to
copy the files to a folder on the XP. Then I reinstalled EZC-6 from the
folder. I use Total Commander (http://www.ghisler.com/) for transfering
files from one pc to another, works great!

I appreciate the info on the eternal hard drives; I looked at Tiger Direct
this a.m. and will be looking around more I figure I would like at least the
same or a bit more as the hard drive I have now, and it is 145 capacity. I
saw one that was about $125 but now I can't remember which was which. CRS! I
would like to stay at around $90 to $125 max. I realize that no media lasts
forever, nor will I! Ha-hah. But it is good to be reminded that I should
back up what I have worked so hard to find and that which I have created. I
am really leaning on getting an external hard drive.

Thanks so much,
Sammi