-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Burning photos...

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 13:19:59 -0700

I am just addressing the size of the jpg files.

I always want to take pics with the highest resolution and size.

My other half always wants to 'resize' the pictures when he downloads them
from the camera as he saves them for his files.

I ALWAYS ask him save the pics from the camera in their original size for
me.

I put the original files downloaded from the camera in a file
called...(ORIGINALS - adding a name that makes sense to me so I can find
these pics easily at a later date)
I give each pic a descriptive name.

I then have many options that would not otherwise be available to me.

When you resize a file from the original, the ENTIRE picture is resized.
Now that may sound like an obvious unnecessary overstatement.  Like a real
DUH! statement....but ...follow along with me for a bit.

Say you have a picture of your precious   _______________  (fill in the
blank here: wife, husband, child, girl friend, boyfriends, friend, etc) that
you took when you went to a special place, perhaps Disneyland.

There is a great pic of your precious one with Mickey Mouse standing in
front of the It's a Small World Entrance.  It was taken so that the sign for
It's a Small World shows as well as your precious one and Mickey.  That in
itself as it is...might be a great picture.... good... keep it and resize it
(saving it with a new name so as not to overwrite the original file)

I create a RESIZED folder adding the same name extension as I did for the
ORIGINALS above.  This lets me know that these are resized pics of the pics
that are in the ORIGINALS folder.
I know it is safe to 'play'/work with these pics as the originals are safe
in another folder.  I keep the descriptive name and add cropped or resized
or some other info so I have a clue what I did to this pic.  This is
especially important to me as I am getting older and worry about becoming
forgetful...(or have I already started getting forgetful?  I don't remember
right now...ha ha!)

Now, back to the pic at Disneyland.  As you look at the  pic of your
subject, you see the adoring glow in their eyes.  You see the
wonderment..the joy!  Wow!  It really is awesome.  You have captured that
'Kodak moment'!   But all of that gets lost in the 'whole picture' when it
is 'resized' to a usable printable size picture.

What do you do?  You CROP the picture.  You take the person who has that
wonderful glow in their eyes and capture just that!  Depending upon the
picture, you might just capture the face, the whole body, the whole body and
Mickey too!  Crop OUT the background showing It's a Small World, the sign
and the people milling around waiting for their turn to see Mickey.  Focus
in on the moment you are trying to capture.  As a parent, to see that look
of pure joy, happiness and wonderment is something you live for!  You want
to give those moments to your children.  Capturing that will allow that
child as well as yourself to relive that moment forever.  And...your
grandchildren will think it is awesome too, when they see Mickey..and
perhaps have that magic moment with him too!  They will understand their
Mom/Dad had that same experience.  They will KNOW their Mom/Dad REALLY DO
understand how they feel!

You can make that picture the size YOU want it to be.  It can be 8x10 -
5x7 - 4x6 or even smaller or...ALL those sizes.  You decide.  Just save the
pic (I add the size to the name - yes I have long file names)
You can save the pic in all sizes..it is up to you!  Maybe you want to make
a refrigerator magnet of pic.  (I save those business cards or other ads
that I get that are magnets..(the are rubber like) and I glue the pic to the
magnet!  (I snag the refrigerator magnets from Costco and pizza places. KFC,
etc...)

Then, that is just one part of the pic.  Perhaps you like that pic just the
way it came out of the camera.  Well, resize it and save it that way.

You could also make an interesting collage of the pics.  You could have the
original pic with Mickey and an inset of the close-up on one side.

There are just so many possibilities!  You can even take these pics to
Costco or a pharmacy and get them printed professionally!  (Many places let
you upload them and you can pic up the pics when you go to the store)  I
think Costco sizes go up to something like 15x17.  I just went to their site
and noticed it is being redone for photos and they are expanding their
services and will also be making hardcover photo books.  Wow!  I am going to
check into that!

MY rule of thumb to remember.
  You can resize DOWN and NOT lose picture quality.
  But, if you resize UP you WILL lose picture quality.  Resizing up is what
causes those square pixels in a picture.
  (You can resize up a little without noticeable degradation, but only a
little.  My rule is start big and go down in size as you decide what you
want.)

If you are into Scrapbooking or have someone who does it for you, these
files are great in their original size.

Maybe you have pics from several years...say several trips to Disneyland.
You could make a collage of those trips showing the growth of a child.. but
with the wonderment still there.  Perhaps they will move on from It's a
Small World to the big roller coaster...but the look of anticipation and
excitement will still be there.  If it is not...heck..don't waste your money
on that trip again!  ha ha!

We have some great pics.  Jerry's granddaughter from AU came for a visit for
a month around Christmas/New Years' a couple of years ago.She is a beautiful
girl and she could be a model.  She is an expert of taking pics of herself
with her camera!  Where WE got good pics of her is when we took her up to Mt
Charleston.  Mt Charleston is about 20 + or - miles from Las Vegas.  She had
never seen snow before.  So, Jerry took her up there a couple of times.  She
had a great time there.  Really more fun than she did at Disneyland, in my
opinion.  She was sooooooooooo excited to see snow.

I am finally starting to work on making a huge pic or pics , a
collage/collages of the places she went to when she was here.  Disneyland,
The Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Mt Charleston, Los Angeles, our home... the
shopping malls...etc.

We sent her home with the original pics on a  CD so she could share them
with her mother & step father as well as her dad.   A few months later, I
sent her an email with a pic I had cropped and done some stuff with.  Her
mom responded and asked where the pics were taken.  She had not shared the
pics with her mother or father!  But, once her mom knew about them and asked
her, she got to see them!  Such is life!

There are many many programs out there to help you do things with photos.
Many do not require any previous skills.  Of course, the more you do them,
the better you get.  The better you get, the more you want to learn and do
more.   There are free programs and ones you can buy.  The can cost from
nothing to nearly a $1000 or even more.  Digital Scrapbooking is in full
swing these days.  It is something that started just a few years ago and is
now a very big online business.

So, from a simple question about copying pics, I give you a report on saving
pics, sizes, graphics, etc.  That is just wordy me.  I remember someone
describing this as someone asking the time..and being told how to build a
clock.  While that info might have been interesting..the person still did
not know what time it was!

I hope this makes you think a bit.... before you decide what to do with
pics.  No matter what...enjoy...and buy a watch...so you will know what time
it is..I am no help in that area...ha ha!

Rose
Las Vegas