-=PCTechTalk=- GPS & C/Laptop

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 15:40:36 -0700

Hi all!
Now I am going to prove to you all just how ignorant I am.

I have just purchased a Laptop (wireless)

I have a Palm Smartphone that I also has Tom Tom software.  I also have GPS
device in the car.  We have been using the Palm with the Tom Tom software for
navigation.  It works just fine.   (I paid for the software and GPS device..so
I have no subscription fees,)

What I would like to do is use the Lap Top for Navigation.  The 17" screen is a
whole lot better than the small Palm screen.  We could also probably get better
sound from the lap top.

Can this be done?  I have been told yes I can do that...but I have no idea how.
 The person who said "Of course you can!" was not as confident when I asked her
HOW.
She just said it was easy to do.  I think she was too busy selling me the
laptop.  I was buying the laptop..no matter what..it was nor predicated on
being able to use it for the GPS.

So, if someone could send me in the right direction I would be most
appreciative.  Since we do not go out and/or travel all that much, I would not
be interested in a subscription service...  I think A T & T wanted something
like $50 a month for me to use their internet service which would give me GPS
service.  I do not use my Smartphone for email or internet connections.  I
cannot see spending $50 a month to use it a few times a month or even a few
times a week.

I did try a search...but I think I was not smart enough for the answers I need.
I need someone to say..no ..it cannot be done without an internet
connection...or...
Yes it can be done without an internet connection using a GPS device...and this
is how to do it.....

Thanks in advance...
Rose
Las Vegas