-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Browser Problems

  • From: EddieB <fasteddieb216@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 08:47:27 -0500

Steve, I never tried cnet or wugnet before.  My favorite is speedtest.net as
it seems the most accurate of the ones I tried, especially when testing high
speed of 30 to 100mbps connections.

Oh wait, you are only giving one speed.  Are you getting both Download AND
Upload speeds?  If not, then use www.speedtest.net and
www.speakeasy.net/speedtest as they test both directions.  I think you just
gave your Download speed but the problem could be with your Upload speed
(outbound direction).

Have you run the speedtests at the times when you are having the problems?
If you have packetloss then you are probably only getting slowdowns when the
packetloss is happening.  When the problem is happening, then run the
speedtests and also www.pingtest.net which actually tests for packetloss.

Plugins could cause this problem, but I find it hard to believe (but not
impossible) that it would affect all three browsers.  A good test for this
would be for IE, go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, then
click "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" icon.  This location is for WinXP and
might be different on Vista or Win7.  And for FireFox go to Start, All
Programs, Mozilla Firefox, and click "Mozilla Firefox (safe mode)"  These
icons will run those browsers without Addons, so that will give you a quick
answer.

Ed