-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Browser Problems

  • From: EddieB <fasteddieb216@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 01:03:45 -0500

Steve,

There could be a lot of causes, but in your situation I'm leaning towards
packetloss (dropped packets).  That could definitely cause your problem,
especially if you are getting slower speeds than normal.  Do you run speed
tests like www.speedtest.net or www.speakeasy.net/speedtest from time to
time?  Sometimes its hard to tell the difference in speed unless you have a
new and old speedtest to compare.  Often packetloss varies from minute to
minute or hour to hour or day to day.

There could be many causes for packetloss.  Are you using a wireless
connection?  If so, then how many bars to you get and do the # of bars vary
a lot?  What kind of connection to you have from your ISP (cable, DSL,
FiOS)?  Do you use a router (wireless or wired)?  It could also be a problem
with your modem, router, or your ISP.  If it seems to be affected by
temperature, then it is most likely your ISP or the outside wires either to
your house or around it.

Ed