-=PCTechTalk=- Re: 4 everybody who lives outside exUSSR

  • From: Master NetLord <NetLord@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:09:18 -0400

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:56:11 -0500, geekette wrote:

"However, that said: . . .a C++ programmer friend, who is still
employed and wishes to remain annonymous, said that he doesn't
disapprove of stealing software because of just the opposite of
MNL's statement.[No offense intended, he said, MNL]. It --is-- the
company you are ripping off because they are paying the programmers
in foreign lands a pitance no matter how much the company makes
selling the software. By putting the bottom line ahead of workers'
rights and needs they put American programmers out of work and
contribute to the poverty status in other lands.  [It wasn't just
the dot com bust that raised the unemployment rate among
programmers.]"

I've heard this kind of argument before and it's simply smoke and
mirrors!!  When someone steals a product...someone else pays the
price.  There is no such thing as "ripping off the company" -- those
companies exist because they make money.  If the majority of people
steal their product they have three choices, they raise their prices
to cover the losses, lay off employees to cut costs to make up for the
losses, or they can go out of business.  If they raise their prices,
guess who pays for it!?  YOU and I do!!   When you and I buy Win XP
for $200+, I KNOW a good part of that money pays for the danged
software that's stolen.  If not, the company, no matter how good the
product they make is.....will go out of business.  Does your friend
think it's fair that all of us who pay for their software should also
pay to cover the cost of the software that your friend steals??   If
they lay people off......it's people like you and I!  Is that fair??

Additionally, most of these companies exist because they sell stock
to finance the growth of the company.  Each of you who own stock, or
mutual funds, lose value in your stock when theft exists......who
else pays for it??  Profits go down because of theft -- that's a
fact, or else the price of the product goes up to cover the cost of
theft ---- theft is not a victimless crime -- it has a consequence.

Finally, the comment that "they are paying the programmers in foreign
lands a pittance no matter how much the company makes selling the
software. By putting the bottom line ahead of workers' rights and
needs they put American programmers out of work and contribute to the
poverty status in other lands" is, IMHO, simply BS!!  How can anyone
argue that paying companies in India, China, etc., to do programming
contributes to the level of poverty in those countries.   That
argument is so silly it needs no response.

Now group, we have a problem here......and I suppose I'm responsible
for it as I responded quickly and firmly (and hopefully with respect
for the original poster though I strongly disagree with his
thoughts).  This topic isn't exactly on topic, though certainly
relevant to software and computers.  If the majority find it of
interest......we can entertain other opinions.  If not, we can agree
to disagree and drop the topic <chuckle>  The last thing I want to do
is make anyone feel intimidated or insulted.  I particularly respect
the fact that we have members on this list from many countries, and I
do not want to offend them.

Regards from the
"Keyboard Cowboy",
Master NetLord