-=PCTechTalk=- Battery Back-Ups

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:59:46 -0400

I think I chose the correct new subject.  :-))

Battery backups are indeed a bit heavier than surge protectors.  :-))

The size you buy should be determined by how much you want to plug
into it and how long you want it to last.  My standards are plug
everything in and provide enough time to safely shutdown my systems
and unplug the UPS from the wall.

I have two. . .   one APC Back UPS XS 1000 and one 1200.  Between the
two I have my router, modem, monitor, cpu, speakers and telephone,
laptop charger, external drives, printer, a small desktop fan and
another small fan cooling the cpu.

When/If trouble starts, I will start a safe shutdown and then unplug
both units from the wall.

They have kicked in hundreds of times when the power company briefly
interrupts my feed but so far they have not had to be unplugged from
the wall except when the serial hurricanes came through central
Florida a few years ago.

I also have battery backup on my HDTV,cable box, DVD player etc.

Don