[pchelpers] Re: where is it?

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: PcCowboy <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 00:41:07 -0500

Hi PcCowboy,

P> Well that didn't work. Page not found. So I started backing up.
P> when I got to
P> c:\Documents and Settings\DALLAS\local Setting\Temporary Internet Files
P> A window popped up saying it couldn't find the program to open the file.
P> So I backed up to c:\Documents and Settings\DALLAS\local Setting and the
P> local setting folder opened up.
P> Then I added the "Temporary Internet Files" to the address line and was told
P> again that it couldn't find the program to open the file. Why would it think
P> a folder was a exe program?

Ahh, it's a special folder.  If you look at it from the command
prompt, you'll be able to see the contents:

H:\>dir "e:\documents and settings\scott 2\local settings" /a /b
Application Data
desktop.ini
History
index.dat
Temp
Temporary Internet Files

H:\>dir "e:\documents and settings\scott 2\local settings\temporary internet
files" /a /b
Content.IE5
desktop.ini

H:\>dir "e:\documents and settings\scott 2\local settings\temporary internet
files\Content.ie5" /a /b
1JFZMMZH
7B173L4S
CRBZESXX
desktop.ini
DYTIVPZY
index.dat
S56NKLIN
S5H5AMML
U9VGT43E
X0CJDTG5

H:\>dir "e:\documents and settings\scott 2\local settings\temporary internet
files\Content.ie5\1JFZMMZH" /a /b
(888 files listed, sucking up 11 megs)

P> Funny thing is that I didn't receive any attachments this morning. I
received one yesterday
P> and I ran a scan on it and it was OK and it was from a friend. I even sent
it over to Pen
P> (Pen if you are reading this run a full scan just in case.) I saved the
attachment and scanned
P> it again and its OK. So I still don't know how it got on my computer.

If you were able to get into the folder, you could have seen when the
file was created, which would have been when you received it.  If you
can restore the file from quarantine you can check it, and/or you can
see if AVG will tell you the date/time of the file.

--Scott.