[pchelpers] Re: What now!

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: PcCowboy <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 00:53:02 -0500

Hi PcCowboy,

P> I have 3 things to ask about.
P> #1. This morning I opened up network folder, found my Office computer and
clicked on it.
P> I need to move some files over. After a short min. a login box popped up.
P> It was labeled "Connecting to Office" The user line was grayed out but in it
was
P> OFFICE\guest. And it was waiting for a password. Now I do not have my office
P> computer set-up with a password. And I have the guest account disable.
P> So I went outside to my office to check it out. I ended up turning the
P> guest account back on. Now I can get to my computer without being ask
P> for a password. What happened? I have always disabled all guest accounts on
P> all my computers. Oh This is an XP Pro computer.

Easy way out is to go to command prompt and type:
NET USE \\OFFICE\C$ Administrator Password

Put the admin password where it says "Password".  If there's no
password on the administrator account (which is a no-no), then just
put a pair of double-quotes.  If the password contains special
characters or spaces, put quotes around it.

P> #2. I have another computer that when I start it up a login box with the name
P> Owner shows up. I have to hit enter to go on to the desktop. I wanted to
P> disable having Owner enter a password. I went to "Control Panel\Users
Accounts"
P> There is no user named Owner. All the other users are listed but that one.
P> So where do I find User Owner?

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management (or
you can right-click on My Computer and select Manage Computer), and go
to Local Users and Groups -> Users.

P> #3. I have my office computer set up this way.
P> I have a marquee screen saver set up. It is bright Red
P> with real big words "Security System Activated Eagle Security Version 3.1"
P> Then I have a desktop background that is white with the words in Big red
Letters.
P> "Intruder Detected. Police has been notified"

"have".  ;)

P> My idea is that a person breaks in and sees the Security marquee he might
think twice
P> about messing with something. If he does touch the mouse the desktop
background
P> will pop up and maybe the intruder alert will give him a scare or a heart
attack.
P> Now I know this won't fool anyone who know anything about computers, but who
says all
P> crooks are smart.
P> What I have been doing is at the end of the day I would turn on my
screensaver, switch the background
P> over to the intruder, and hide the desktop icons and task bar.
P> Then I had the idea, why don't I make an user account called "security" Then
switch over to
P> security set the screensaver, and background and such, and leave it that way.
P> Then at the end of the day I just log off and switch to the security user
and it is all set.
P> But every morning I open up to find that the User "security" has been logged
off and the
P> computer is waiting for someone to log on again. There must be a setting
somewhere
P> that has a time limit set for how long "security" can stay logged on.
P> All this just to ask where do I find the setting that set the time limit for
users?

If you set the screen saver to have a password, then that will happen.
It's more noticeable undet Win2K: you have to enter the password for THAT
user in order to log that user off and log on as another user.  WinXP
allows multiple users logged on at a time, so the screensaver password
thing works differently.

Do you get identical results when you go to Start -> Log Off -> Switch
User?

--Scott.