[pchelpers] Re: rtf

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: John Durham <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 01:01:29 -0500

Hi John,

JD> RTF is another way of saying HTML (HyperText Markup Language). If you
JD> are sending in plain text, practically everyone can read it, however, if
JD> you change to RTF,  some on the list won't. However, if you go to
JD> Tools/Options and click the Send tab, you will find the options there.
JD> Pam And Jas Mc wrote:

Actually, RTF is Rich Text Format, which is a generic word processing
format created by Microsoft, very similar to XML, but at least a
decade older. When used in Outlook (configured in Corporate mode) on
an email system that uses Exchange Server, you can actually send
emails to other people on the network using RTF. If the email goes out
to the internet, and/or Outlook is not in Corporate mode, then HTML is
used instead.

As I recall, Outlook Express offers "RTF" or Text, but it REALLY means
HTML, not RTF.

Typical Microsoft confusion.

--Scott.