[pchelpers] Re: trojan virus

  • From: Scott McNay <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 07:24:05 -0500

Hi Ekhart,

Monday, June 28, 2004, 4:42:31 AM, you wrote:

EGlnl> You learn something new every day. Perhaps "trojan virus" is not only a
EGlnl> somewhat sloppy way of saying trojan (horse) malware, which is however
EGlnl> understandable and perhaps acceptable because "virus" is more widespread
EGlnl> than "malware" as the colloquial generic term for all pernicious
programs.
EGlnl> http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,5739-544116,00.html

EGlnl> "Trojan virus" is perhaps also a new technical term, although i haven't
EGlnl> been able to find this use anywhere else than on CNN, which is famous
EGlnl> for providing up-to-date but superficial info:
EGlnl> A Trojan virus, like a Trojan horse, is a program that appears safe --
EGlnl> but smuggles in a worm or virus.
EGlnl> www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/06/25/internet.attack/

I agree; it looks like someone was sloppy.

A trojan horse is a program which is specifically written to look
good, but has a hidden motive. Reproduction occurs when someone else
executes a copy of it on their computer.

A virus is a program which infects other programs and gives them a
new motive.  Reproduction occurs when someone else executes a copy of
the host on their computer.

A worm is a program which is capable of self-reproduction, and does
not need to infect other programs.

I suppose a trojan virus could be considered a virus that hides itself
(some damage the host program so that it no longer performs its'
original function, thereby making their presence obvious; most of
these are just poorly-written), although this would seem to be an
unnecessary and trivial distinction, considering that most hide
themselves successfully.

After looking over several web sites, it appears that peple are using
it like this:

   "When I run a norton scan on it, it shows up that I have the
   download.trojan virus"

I suspect that this is a case of a user thinking that anything
reported by an antivirus program must be a virus, therefore
"download.trojan" must be a virus, even though it's actually not. I
further suspect that other sites use the same phrase so that people
who don't know what a trojan is (other than a US brand of condom) will
understand that it's not good.

--Scott.