[pchelpers] Re: Trogan Virus

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Cyril Halbach <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:51:28 -0500

Hi Cyril,

Saturday, June 26, 2004, 9:18:11 PM, you wrote:

CH>     Now, my daughter's computer running Windows XP and Norton Anti Virus
CH> that has never been updated had 33 of these types of Virus. I installed AVG
CH> and it apparently removed or "healed" all but 11 of them.  Could someone
CH> repeat the advice on how to deal with the rest of these pesky beasties?  AVG
CH> seems to identify them but either it does not really "heal"  them or they
CH> keep on replicating themselves.

Are they trojans or viruses? By combining the names, you are
pretending that two entirely different things are the same. A trojan
is not a virus, and vice versa. Most antivirus programs take only
passing notice of trojans.

Since your daughter's computer apparently already has Norton AV
installed, you should update it and let it attempt to repeir also. If
it has expired or the LiveUpdate won't work for some other reason,
then all you have to do is go to
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html, download
the latest definitions, set the system date back a year or two to a
time before Norton expired, install the update (the update will not
install unless the date is prior to the exiration date), then restore
the date to the correct value. Once you have it updated, you can then
do a full scan of the system again with Norton.

Since you don't know what other kinds of junk is on her system, you
should attack with other programs as well.  Start with AdAware and
Spybot Search & Destroy (BOTH of them, not just one):

http://security.kolla.de/
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

I'll conclude with a quote from one of Ekhart's messages:

EGlnl> Perhaps you didn't follow Ed's and my correspondence with Billy (who had
EGlnl> a trojan too)? In case you missed the important original post explaining
EGlnl> what to do (perhaps due to the many follow-ups and repeats (-: ), i'll
EGlnl> quote it for you below.

EGlnl> But first let me add that the free program "a squared"
EGlnl> www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free
EGlnl> might be almost as good as the supposedly best antitrojan program (TDS)
EGlnl> that i found on the basis of my research. Running that might be enough,
EGlnl> but i wouldn't rely on that, so keep reading:

EGlnl> I've heard that many people are very happy with Avast, but you might try
EGlnl> disabling it and installing and running AVG. If it finds something Avast
EGlnl> didn't, you might want to consider uninstalling Avast instead of AVG.

EGlnl> (Replace AVG with Avast in the following and try to find comparable
EGlnl> manual removal instructions on Avast's Internet site:)

EGlnl> The reason AVG can't remove the trojan is that it's already running. All
EGlnl> you probably have to do is restart your puter in safe mode and then run
AVG.

EGlnl> If that doesn't work, try Ctrl+Alt+Del and see if you can find and stop
EGlnl> the most suspicious processes without crashing your puter (-: -- don't
EGlnl> waste time, nerves, and too many system crashes on this since the slyest
EGlnl> trojans don't show up there anyhow -- and then run AVG again. You might
EGlnl> want to read something about this first though:
EGlnl> www.nohack.net/detection.htm
EGlnl> (the best info i've found on this on the Net so far!)

EGlnl> AVG's manual trojan removal instructions:
EGlnl> www.grisoft.com/faq/us_faqtext.php?id=224&sid=25

EGlnl> Amazingly well-written, detailed trojan removal info
EGlnl> www.nohack.net/detection.htm
EGlnl> www.nohack.net/trojans.htm
EGlnl> www.nohack.net/antivirus.htm

EGlnl> This is supposedly the best antitrojan program according to many
EGlnl> reputable sources, and it's free for 30 days:
EGlnl> http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=download

EGlnl> don't know about these:
EGlnl> http://anti-trojan.com
EGlnl> www.staynew.com/~rod/index2.php
EGlnl> www.antiviraldp.com

EGlnl> Ek

EGlnl> PS: Billy said these online virus scanners were no help to him, but
EGlnl> maybe they normally can get rid of trojans and do more than scan (as
EGlnl> they apparently only did in Billy's case).

--Scott.