[pchelpers] Re: hidden files / sob story, suggestions welcome

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:43:34 +1300

I agree with Cyril's comments on downlowded cleanup utilities. They can
sometimes find all sorts of unused stuff. As for your trouble booting
and running, it sounds as if the install changed some of the operating
system files so it is no longer stable.

This is what System File Checker was made for. Run SFC.

G.R. Hanson wrote:

> Ok, ok, "If you guys say so!"  (regarding keeping hidden files hidden)
> I was just
> thinking that I might have some hidden files that belong to nothing on
> my pc due to
> delete/uninstall's and was hoping I could have gotten rid of those
> files.
>
> Here's my sob story:
> I went to install a program last night.  Well, duh, it filled my pc up
> so that I had
> 1/2 a gig left.  Before the install, I had just over a gig, 1.1
> something or other.
> Well, I had to uninstall it in safe mode as I just could NOT boot up.
> When I finally
> could boot up, the uninstall had me at 800 something, not over a gig.
> Hmmm???  <not
> fair!>  So, I've deleted a few misc. things to get me back up to over
> a gig free.
>
> I have a 10 gig hard drive, running Windows 98.  Yes, I keep temp.
> internet files
> gone, my recycle bin gets emptied often, and do a scan disk and defrag
> about twice a
> week lately too.
>
> Ok, now to today, I've had to cold boot a zillion times, my explorer
> keeps 'not
> responding'.... and it's been quite frustrating.
>
> Everything was at least working pretty well until last night <for the
> time being at
> least>  and now I do WELL if I can boot and not have to boot a few
> more times to get
> things to actually work without locking me up from the get-go.
>
> <Side point: it sure seems like I have a bunch of stuff that has been
> added to my
> windows folder that I have no idea if I can delete or not.  So they
> are sitting
> there>
>
> Oh, another question.... when I go to windows explorer and check some
> directories, it
> might have something I've not heard of, and when I click on it,
> there's not much in
> it and no exe files.  I DID delete a few of those just now, but did
> that AFTER all
> this other stuff so I know it's not the cause of anything.
>
> And, if a folder just has a cab file in it, can I delete that safely?
>
> <Believe me, I'm not delete happy by nature like SOME people.  I'm a
> packrat, and
> that includes my pc!>
>
> Anyway, any suggestions welcome.
>
> Sigh.