[pchelpers] Re: hidden files / sob story, suggestions welcome

  • From: Don Bieber <the-picture-man@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 23:24:00 -0500

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:55:26 -0600 "G.R. Hanson"
<grhanson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm not real familiar with SFC but have ran it before.
> Should I check for it to:
> check for changed files
> check for deleted files
> ?

HI there,

just a thought, I have win98SE and I run the Maintenance wizard all the
time and that does a clean up, then scandisk, then defrag.

I know this...................  you have to set it up first and make the
settings so Scandisk actually makes repairs and doesn't just report them,
so run through the "settings" feature first

It is possible to mess things up with SFC if you don't take your time and
think each change it catches through before you do anything but restore a
"missing" file. If it says that you have an older file than win98 or
win98se would have installed, I would always restore the file from the
original win 98 cd that you have. You'll almost always restore a file
from the directory on the win98 cd that is called "Win98"

Keep in mind that it will take a while to do that. It may be quicker to
just reinstall Win98 over top itself

A 10 Gig drive is pretty big, hard to imagine that you have it full of
useful stuff. If you got a lot of stuff that you're saving for posterity,
burn it on a cd and then delete it off your HD

Maybe it's time to start over again, save all your important stuff by
burning a cd or cds, then fdisk, format and reinstall everything. I
guarantee, you'll come up with space you didn't know that you had

CU,
Don Bieber
2338 Carlisle Road
York, PA USA