[pchelpers] Re: Windows 7 Starter edition

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 07:32:14 +1200

On 2/05/2010 7:36 p.m., Billyus Eximius wrote:

> I've just downloaded the newest version of Ubuntu, as I have other version
> of Linux. I've always been going to get around to trying it, even built the
> odd PC to try it out on but given these away to needy causes.
>
> I have even thought about installing it on one of my laptops, but one thing
> has always stopped me............does Ubuntu have it's own drivers for the
> component parts of my laptop or would I need to do an internet seach for
> them and install seperately.
> I once bought a nice little notebook, second hand and the drive went down,
> taking with it, the restore partition so I installed a copy of windows I had
> with my PC, but what a job I had to find some of the drivers.
>
> So if anyone can answer this question, I might, just might try and get into
> Linux and say goodbye to Windows.
>

> Billy
It has many drivers, but the list is not exhaustive. Most will be
accessed at install time. One of the tricky parts can be to get it on
the internet, so it is advisable to have the line connected at install
time to give the installer a decent chance to work. If you have
problems, there are a number of LUGs scattered about (Linux User Groups).

--
Regards, John Durham <http://modecideas.com/contact.html?sig>
ICQ number 571215671   Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786