[pchelpers] Re: Windows 7 Starter edition

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 22:51:05 -0700

John Durham wrote:
I have used it before on PC type machines and found it is quite good at
setting itself up with 'windows like' environment. Once you get into it,
there are many differences.

True. One does not switch OS's w/o a learning curve. Machines w/Linux
tend to be cheaper because of the greatly reduced cost of the OS, (but
this is a generalization), & tend to use fewer resources, but this
again is a broad generalization.

Lots of folks, though, & that in increasing numbers, are becoming
happier w/Linux, OpenOffice, Firefox, & 1 or more of the various
flavors of music/video players available in Linux. Windows has more
programs written for it, but this is also changing. There's also a lot
more Malware w/Windows, but, again, as more folks get into Linux,
this, unfortunately, will also change. The security infrastructure is
different, though, & I think will be harder to hack. There is a
reason, truthfully, why a lot of servers are in fact Linux based.
Hopefully MS will harden up Windows considerably, but I'm not holding
my breath on that.

--
Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride