[pchelpers] Re: Trojans ..I think?

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <ekhart.georgi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 01:00:30 +0300

Hi Eric

Perhaps you didn't follow Ed's and my correspondence with Billy (who had
a trojan too)? In case you missed the important original post explaining
what to do (perhaps due to the many follow-ups and repeats (-: ), i'll
quote it for you below.

But first let me add that the free program "a squared"
www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free
might be almost as good as the supposedly best antitrojan program (TDS)
that i found on the basis of my research. Running that might be enough,
but i wouldn't rely on that, so keep reading:

I've heard that many people are very happy with Avast, but you might try
disabling it and installing and running AVG. If it finds something Avast
didn't, you might want to consider uninstalling Avast instead of AVG.

(Replace AVG with Avast in the following and try to find comparable
manual removal instructions on Avast's Internet site:)

The reason AVG can't remove the trojan is that it's already running. All
you probably have to do is restart your puter in safe mode and then run AVG.

If that doesn't work, try Ctrl+Alt+Del and see if you can find and stop
the most suspicious processes without crashing your puter (-: -- don't
waste time, nerves, and too many system crashes on this since the slyest
trojans don't show up there anyhow -- and then run AVG again. You might
want to read something about this first though:
www.nohack.net/detection.htm
(the best info i've found on this on the Net so far!)

AVG's manual trojan removal instructions:
www.grisoft.com/faq/us_faqtext.php?id=224&sid=25

Amazingly well-written, detailed trojan removal info
www.nohack.net/detection.htm
www.nohack.net/trojans.htm
www.nohack.net/antivirus.htm

This is supposedly the best antitrojan program according to many
reputable sources, and it's free for 30 days:
http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=download

don't know about these:
http://anti-trojan.com
www.staynew.com/~rod/index2.php
www.antiviraldp.com

Ek

PS: Billy said these online virus scanners were no help to him, but
maybe they normally can get rid of trojans and do more than scan (as
they apparently only did in Billy's case).