[pchelpers] Re: Preview pane and the dangerous world of Microsoft and dishonest business people

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 07:37:27 -0500

Hi Ekhart,

I gotta get to work, so qickie reply, haven't even read all of your
email yet...

Friday, June 4, 2004, 3:14:25 AM, you wrote:

EGlnl>     Even with the automatic preview turned off, even if you never view
EGlnl> messages in the preview pane, Outlook Express automatically opens the
EGlnl> first message that arrives in an empty Inbox.

I will check, but I don't think I've seen this; this may not happen in
OE6.

>> My understanding (which could be wrong) is that if you have all of the
>> security updates, you won't have that problem.

EGlnl> With the inevitable "window of opportunity" between the appearance of a
EGlnl> new virus and the release of an update for Windows and the normal
EGlnl> antivirus programs (see below for the apparently only AV that is
EGlnl> intelligent and doesn't need constant updates), a serious cracker (or an
EGlnl> *intelligent* terrorist -- so far we've only seen wild fanatics) could
EGlnl> smash most systems running Microsoft products at once.

There's unlikely to be any such thing as "no holes".  Safest to assume
that there will always be another problem waiting.

EGlnl> It's no coincidence that these continue to include US government
EGlnl> computers according to the pee-brained logic (i don't think i misspelled

Most people spell it "pea", but either spelling gets the point across.
 ;)

EGlnl> (Nor the idiots who build skyscrapers without remembering that planes
EGlnl> have fuel tanks -- when i stood on the WTC in 1985, i said that i'm 100%
EGlnl> sure it can't survive a full hit by a large civilian plane, but since

I read an article discussing that very issue; at the time it was
seigned, it was able to.  They didn't expect that planes would balloon
so much larger.

>> Considering that there's more junk that can infect via fully-opened
>> messages than via preview pane,

EGlnl> Are you sure about that?

If it can open in the preview pane, it can open in the full message
window, I suspect.

EGlnl> See this too to prevent destroying all your mail with the many badly
EGlnl> designed antivirus programs that unnecessarily scan your email (they
EGlnl> should only prevent the virus from executing!):

Oh, so it's ok to FORWARD a virus to someone else?

--Scott.