[pchelpers] Re: DISASTER!!! Computer NERD required (Long post)

  • From: John Samperi <samperi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:19:52 +1100

Hello Nigel

At 11:24 AM 22/02/02 +1300, you wrote:

>I'm a little behind on this thread but I seem to remember that all hard diak
>makers provide a utility on their web sites that allows for the total
>re-configuration of their respective drives, including returning the drives
>pre recorded data back to factory standard.  I have used this software in
>the past from Maxtor and Seagate and it works!!!
>The utility makes a boot floppy with the proper program on it.

I have dowloaded and tried Seagate's Seatools but unfortunately they
don't work as they clearly show on the read.me file unless BIOS does
recognise the drive, which in my case it no longer does.

From the read.me file:

6. SeaTools Diagnostic Version 1.04.03 KNOWN LIMITATIONS

  * SeaTools Disc Diagnostic may not find or access hard disc drives
    when CMOS is set to "none" for those drives.

I need to set the drive to "none" in order to load stuff from A: or
if I set it to Auto it will come up with none as BIOS cannot
access the drive.

I have tried the suggested method of setting the disk's parameters
as a 20MB drive but even then it hangs.

If you know of any other utility that may work please let me know.

I will have another look at the Seagate web site in the meantime,
still waiting for a reply to my mail from them also.

Regards

John Samperi

                                Ampertronics Pty. Ltd.
               11 Brokenwood Place Baulkham Hills NSW 2153
                 Tel. (02) 9674-6495       Fax (02) 9674-8745
                        Email: samperi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                          Website  http://ampertronics.com.au
* Electronic Design   * Technical Services   * Contract Assembly