[pchelpers] Re: DISASTER!!! Computer NERD required (Long post)

  • From: "Nigel" <npl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:24:21 +1300

I'm a little behind on this thread but I seem to remember that all hard diak
makers provide a utility on their web sites that allows for the total
re-configuration of their respective drives, including returning the drives
pre recorded data back to factory standard.  I have used this software in
the past from Maxtor and Seagate and it works!!!
The utility makes a boot floppy with the proper program on it.

Unless the drive is physically damaged you should be able to get it to work
with only a small amount of mucking around!

Nigel

> >I researched this UDMAUPDT utility. It appears it's smart enough to tell
> >which drives it'll work with. Out of curiosity, have you tried going
> >back to Mode 4? (udmaupdt /dma:4)
>
> I did try to do it, but several milliseconds after running the utility
> the HDD became a lump of scrap metal! As explained, BIOS no
> longer recognises it in either computers. It simply hangs looking
> for the HDD for a looooong time and then just quits.
> Even after loading up DOS the disk cannot be accessed.

---