[pchelpers] Re: DISASTER!!! Computer NERD required (Long post)

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:43:53 +1300

If I am reading this right, your Seagate was damaged by having some/all
of its control data altered by the maxtor utility.
NOTE: Seagate drives record vital drive characteristics in a special
area of the disk surface. Procedures like low level formatting will
destroy it and render the drive useless- never do it!

Having said that, there is a Seagate drive utility you can download for
testing it's functions. Try this url
http://download.seagate.com/seatools/registration.nsf/d_file_return?openform

It will at least tell you if it works. Beyond that, it is between you
and the drive supplier. I'm not sure if you need the whole url above,
but have a go anyway.

--
Regards, John Durham <mailto:modec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
ICQ number 112663246