[pchelpers] DIMMs & SIMMs

  • From: Donald Bieber <the-picture-man@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:27:02 -0500

Greetings,

I have a question regarding the use of DIMMs & SIMMs being used at the
same time in the same computer.

Usually, it is not permissable, it just won't work. Well, I have one here
that the book says they can be mixed as long as they stay in seperate
banks, etc.

I've been trying several different sticks of the SDRAM and got two towork
together to give it 128 mb RAM.

However, that still allows one bank of the slots for SIMMs open to be
usable, according to the manual.

The speed difference between the two types are obvious, so my question:
Is the increase in the "amount" of RAM worth the reduction in the speed
at which the SDRAM/DIMMs work(EDO, 60ns, I think), or would I be better
off with letting the computer just use the 128 mb of SDRAM at it's 9ns

I'm hoping there's a technical better of one or the other, instead it
just being a philosophical question, like the Bill Cosby routine of years
ago, "Why is there air?"

I really would like to know which you think is better? "More RAM"   OR
"Higher speed"

cu,
Don Bieber, The-Picture-Man

PS  I am a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore, I am perfect.
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.