[pchelpers] Re: hot link url's in Outlook

  • From: "John Ford" <john.ford1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 03:06:21 -0500

Re-Na,

Here are the protocols that you can use with Oulook. I hope this helps.

John F

Protocols you can type to create hyperlinks
When you type one of the following Internet protocols in the text box of a
message, Outlook creates a hyperlink for you from the text. If recipients of
the message have an Internet browser (such as Microsoft Internet Explorer)
that supports the protocol installed on their computers, they can click the
hyperlink to quickly go to the destination.

If the Internet address includes spaces, you must enclose the entire address
in angle brackets (< >). For example, <file://C:\My Documents\MyFile.doc>

Protocol Description
file:// A protocol used to open a file on an intranet.
ftp:// File Transfer Protocol (FTP), the most common method used to transfer
files over the Internet.
gopher:// Gopher protocol, by which hyperlinks and text are stored
separately.
http:// Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP), the protocol most commonly used
for Web pages
https:// Hypertext Transfer Protocol, Secure. A protocol designed to provide
secure communications using HTTP on the Internet.
mailto: A protocol used to send messages to an e-mail address. When the
recipient clicks this hyperlink, a new message opens with the mailto e-mail
address filled in.
news: A protocol used to open an Internet newsgroup, for recipients who are
connected to an NNTP server.
nntp:// Network News Transfer Protocol. A protocol used to distribute,
inquire, retrieve, and post Usenet news articles over the Internet.
Outlook: or Outlook:// A protocol used to open an Outlook folder or an item
or file in Outlook. This protocol is supported only in Outlook.
prospero:// A protocol used to organize Internet resources in your personal
set of hyperlinks that go to information on remote file servers, for your
personal virtual file system.
telnet:// The Internet standard protocol for logging on from remote
locations.
wais:// Wide Area Information Servers protocol. A distributed information
retrieval system used to retrieve documents based on keywords you supply.