[pchelpers] A question about DIMMS

  • From: "John Paul Mays" <dojpaul@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PC Helpers" <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 11:30:48 -0700

Greetings Everyone!

I've just upgraded my mobo/CPU to an IWill KK266Plus-R with an Athon XP
1600+,and I currently have 384MB SDRAM (3 128MB DIMMS).  I'm looking at doubling
that amount by replacing the 3 128s with three 256s.

The particular RAM I'm looking at is: "High Density (32x4) 256MB PC133 Memory
168pin"

I'd be much obliged if someone could provide me some info and/or experience with
this type of memory, and whether or not this type of RAM would be ok in my
system.

According to the reseller's documentation on their website about this particular
memory, it states as follows: "These modules are made using a high-density 32Bit
DRAM Chip. To use this module, your motherboard must be able to accept a 512 MB
DIMM in each memory slot. If not, your system might only recognize the chip as
128MB".

My mobo is one of the newer ones and is capable of accepting (and recognizing) a
512MB DIMM in each above its banks (3).

Please advise.  Thanks!

/jp/
dojpaul2@xxxxxxxxx