[orcachat] Re: Lifting contest

  • From: Tom Speer <me@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: orcachat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 10:52:14 -0700

In this case, I'm more concerned with takeoff than landing.  I don't think we can get a heavily loaded Mini-Apprentice to take off on our grass runway.  It is hard enough as it is to get the plane to roll at its light weight.  I'm also concerned that, even with the east alders removed, we won't have a clear path to depart after takeoff.  But rolling is the biggest problem.

I see two solutions.  One is to go to another venue to make the loaded flights.  I've not been to the Chimicum field, yet, but while I've heard it is windy there, they may have a smoother runway and more open flying area.  There are probably other fields in the area that have paved or geotextile surfaces.

The other solution is to put down a smoother surface on our runway.  We decided not to go with a geotextile surface because of the cost, but I am going to look at Home Depot to see what they might have in way of a cheaper alternative.  We don't need something that will last, and we don't need it to be wide enough to land on.  It just needs to be something we can put down for loaded takeoffs and then pack up at the end of the day.

Cheers,

Tom

On 9/16/19 4:41 PM, Thomas Condon wrote:

Tom,

Don't have runway envy.  Tarmac runways do much more damage on a rough landing than grass!

The Other Tom!

On Sep 16, 2019, at 12:40 PM, Tom Speer <me@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:me@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I have runway envy!

It's clear we will need provision for a lot more weight than will fit inside the wing.  Probably a ballast box like they have, and maybe some ballast boxes out on the wings, too.  I'm thinking Northrop Gamma style wheel pants that come down from where the tail booms mount.

Cheers,

Tom

On 9/16/19 12:18 PM, Paul Below (Redacted sender paulbelow for DMARC) wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/564421820361041/posts/1622695037867042/?sfnsn=mo

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android <https://go.onelink.me/107872968?pid=InProduct&c=Global_Internal_YGrowth_AndroidEmailSig__AndroidUsers&af_wl=ym&af_sub1=Internal&af_sub2=Global_YGrowth&af_sub3=EmailSignature>