Re: vmware & Oracle

  • From: "Mark Brinsmead" <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kevin.closson@xxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 21:02:06 -0600

It seems I should have read the whole thread here before leaping in with my
last post.

Sorry everybody -- it seems most of that ground has already been covered.

Sadly, I have to agree with Kevin here, and will even go one step farther.
I actively distrust any licensing information provided (directly) by the
Oracle sales organization.  My experience has been that they commonly answer
complex questions incorrectly.  And more importantly, the "Entire Agreement"
clause of the OLSA specifically disavows anything said (or written) by an
Oracle sales rep.  Or by anybody else, for that matter.

There are a LOT of misconceptions about licensing Oracle.  Some of which are
my own, it seems.  :-)

Bottom line:  if somebody inside Oracle answers a question about licensing
for you, you should probably ask them to either refer you to the supporting
text in the OLSA, or start the process to make a formal amendment to the
license.  Either way -- be prepared to read the license (and amendment)
yourself.

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead