Re: vmware & Oracle

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sean.oneill@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:16:34 -0700

On 7/19/07, O'Neill, S. (Sean) <Sean.oneill@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Hi Folks,

Has anyone had much experience (good or bad) with running their Oracle
DB's on the "vmware" product from VMware Inc.

We are currently running a prototype system on VMWare.

The "server" is a Dell workstation class machine, 8 gig of RAM and dual core
Xeon.

This box is running Oracle 10g iAS  and Oracle Apps 11i - 11.5.10.

That's 2 databases and lot of services.  I've had everything running with
acceptable performance.  That is OID with its database, dbconsole and
iasconsole, apps and its database.  Around 400 app processes IIRC.

Performance for this system is acceptable, though initial logins take a
little time.  The slow
initial login time would likely occur without VMWare.  There is a lot
running on that little box.

Also is is lightly loaded. It's just a prototype system for integrating OID
with Apps.

The host OS is 64 bit Windows XP.  The VM is RH linux.

The limitations of the machine do appear when patching, it's kind of slow.

If it were just running apps, it would probably perform fine for a limited
number of users.

Sorry, don't know that that limit is, though if I had to guess, I would
guess 10 or so.

Performance would be much improved if it had enterprise class storage.  It
is running
on internal storage only.

Jared