Re: vmware & Oracle

  • From: Job Miller <jobmiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx, p.mclarty@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 04:42:55 -0700 (PDT)

If there is any confusion about vmware and other soft partitioning schemes, the
licensing doc covers it pretty well I thought.

http://www.oracle.com/corporate/pricing/partitioning.pdf

Soft Partitioning:

Soft partitioning segments the operating system using OS resource managers. The
operating system limits the number of CPUs where an Oracle database is running
by creating areas where CPU resources are allocated to applications within the
same operating system. The database administrator can set the number of CPUs to
the number of licensed CPUs. This is a flexible way of managing data processing
resources since the CPU capacity can be changed fairly easily, as additional
resource is needed.

Examples of such partitioning type include: and Solaris 9 Resource Containers,
AIX Workload Manager, HP Process Resource Manager, Affinity Management, VMware,
etc. This is not a comprehensive list of all the different types of
technologies or resource allocation devices/programs that would fall into the
category of Soft partitioning. For technologies not listed, please consult
pricinginquiry@xxxxxxxxxx

As a result, soft partitioning is not permitted as a means to determine or
limit the number of software licenses required for any given server.

-------

If you need to stand up 15 dev environments that need to be logically separate
and none of them use any volume resources, and a 4 cpu server with 15 vms can
handle that, you'll save some hardware and oracle licensing costs, IF the
alternative was to buy 15 2-cpu machines for that logical separation.

That seems to be the sweet spot for vmware and oracle to me.  There are surely
other use cases I am overlooking, but better server utilization of otherwise
unutilized hardware seems to be a key motivator.

Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: Let's not forget potential
licensing issues...

Where Oracle Corp is concerned, VMware is a "soft partitioning" technology (or
was the last time I checked, about 3 years ago).  This means that you need to
Licence your Oracle software for the  entire machine, not just for the VMs in
which you run Oracle.

This can be a bit painful for sites who plan to take a 16-way i86 box, run HTTP
servers on VMs consuming 14 CPUs, and run Oracle on the "remaining" 2 CPUs.
You have to licence Oracle EE for all 16 CPUs ($640,000), versus potentially
licensing Oracle SE-1 for a 2-way physical server ($10,000; $5,000 if it uses
multi-core processors).

Sites planning to run Oracle in all VMs will be less affected, except for being
compelled to use EE where SE (SE-1) may have otherwise been permitted.

This information might  be out of date.  I encourage people to double check.
Preferrable with at least 3 independent sources within Oracle -- I have
historically found it to be extremely difficult to get correct answers to
questions like this.

On 7/19/07, Peter McLarty <p.mclarty@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: There is now bug fixes
for time issues with vmware, clocks running away with themselves.

My 0.02c

Peter